Like an Old Fashioned but better. This Cherry Mash recipe is my new favorite cocktail. With summer on the way out (someone’s gotta say it) it seems appropriate we celebrate with late summer sweets stirred with a bit of bourbon.
This is simple and I hope you savor it as much as I do. And as much as my friends. My friends like it too. I don’t have the kind of friends who would lie to me.
If you don't have access to organic, raw sugar use date sugar or as a last resort sugar. The raw or date sugar has a bit more flavor than a plain white, processed sugar does.
- 2 cups fresh, organic dark cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons organic raw sugar (see recipe summary for substitutions)
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamon
- 8 roasted cherries
- 2 thin wedges of tangelo (an orange will work just as well)
- 1 ounce simple syrup or Rhubarb Syrup
- 4-6 dashes bitters (I prefer Wigle Whiskey Lavender Bitters)
- 4 ounces bourbon or aged whiskey
- Splash of club soda, optional
- Roast the cherries
- Roast the sugar and cardamom coated cherries on parchment paper in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Store in a tightly sealing jar in the refrigerator.
- Stir the cocktail
- Dividing the cherries and a wedge of tangelo between two glasses, mash the cherries, tangelo and bitters using a muddler or the back of a spoon.
- Add the bourbon and ice. Stir. Club soda optional.