I am currently on a rhubarb and gin craze. Well, not craze binging but exploring the flavors of spring. I don’t recall picking up Dry Soda, Rhubarb Soda but there it was and it’s where my Sunday night cocktail rustled up some inspiration. It seemed a perfect fit for the batch of Rhubarb Citrus Syrup I made last week.
I made a vegan vanilla and flower bud cake with a layer of roasted strawberry rhubarb and a slathered in coconut icing. This syrup was perfect painted between the layers of cake. It makes a refreshing spring sipper when added to sparkling water or in a cocktail. Let me know how you enjoy it.
- 1 cup organic sugar or sugar in the raw
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rhubarb, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- ½ lime, juice and zest
- ½ vanilla bean pod (remove the seeds and mix into sugar for use in baking)
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce to a low simmer stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the syrup into a tightly sealing glass jar and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.