Peaches. Only the most amazing fruit summer has to offer.
I was recently with a friend for a lady date. We went to see The Hundred-Foot Journey. The secret is out, I do not recommend you do this, we brought our own snacks. We packed away a peach and goat cheese flatbread (similar to this recipe but crushed pistachios and sliced peaches were used instead of arugula and blueberries), peach ice cream, and sparkling water with Rhubarb Citrus Syrup.
Now, I tell you all of this to say, peaches make summer perfect. Here is a quick and easy recipe for Peach Crumb Muffins that you can play with or bake just as they are. I’ve been known to add a dollop of mascarpone or cream cheese and a teaspoon of Blackberry Margarita Jam before baking.
- 1 flax egg (3 tablespoons water plus 1 tablespoon ground flax) or 1 egg for a non-vegan version
- 2 cups whole wheat white, spelt or all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup organic, raw coconut oil, melted Earth Balance butter (butter for non-vegan version)
- 1 cup organic, non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peaches, pitted, peeled and chopped
- Blackberry or raspberry jam, optional
- 1 recipe Crumbs on Top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12-cup muffin tin
- Mix the flax egg and set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Combine coconut oil, milk and flax mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine. Stir in the peaches.
- Fill muffin tins, reserving approximately 1 cup.
- Dollop ½ teaspoon of jam into the center of each muffin cup then top with 1 tablespoon of the remaining batter.
- Top with crumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes. You may need to loosen the muffins by running a sharp knife around the edge of each cup.
- Best if eaten within 2-3 days.