I’m a soup lover (I’m also a closet donut lover. Achenbach’s peanut butter Long Johns to be exact). I feel like we need to talk about this Lemongrass and Coconut Curry Soup. Soups are the most cost-effective, timesaving, party-centric and flavorful ways to eat well.
A little bit of a whole food ingredients goes a long way in servings and saving money. One pound of butternut squash and eight ounces of dried beans stretches my Moroccan Strew into several satisfying servings. Double batch your soup and freeze the extra servings for lunch or dinner in a pinch.
Grab some girlfriends and host a night in with sweet white wine and lots of chocolate. Serve this soup with a simple mixed greens salad, cheese and bread and you’ve got it made.
I’d suggest serving the Lemongrass and Coconut Curry Soup with a simple flatbread. Here is a ridiculously simple, chewy Roti Flatbread recipe not dependent on fussy yeast. (Yes, Yeast! I called you fussy and now I have a fall-back flatbread recipe perfect for when you decide to act out!)
If you are interested in a 3 Savory Seasonal Soups cooking class, I’ll be teaching a class at Zest!, in Lititz on November 4th. Never miss a class, recipe or local food event by signing up for my monthly newsletter. The sign-up link is on my home page of this here website.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or organic, raw coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 (8-inch) stalks fresh lemongrass, cut in half
- 3-inch, finger thickness fresh ginger, peeled and cut into strips
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (gluten-free optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free optional)
- 8 ounces exotic mushroom blend or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces extra organic tofu, cut into small cubes
- Lime wedges, garnish
- Chopped cilantro, garnish
- Gently simmer the curry paste with the olive oil for 1 minute.
- Add the lemongrass, ginger and broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook for 25 - 35 minutes.
- Remove the lemongrass and ginger from the broth and discard. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, mushrooms and tofu. Bring heat back to a gently rolling simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro garnish.