Had a great time at Weaver’s Orchard last week and we had quite the crowd. The mission… share some easy tips for summer entertaining…specifically little tea sandwiches. With baskets of fresh fruit and cookie cutters in hand I was set to begin.
Must preface this with … I love stopping at Weaver’s Orchard. I am always drawn in by the gorgeous array of flowers and potted plants. When you make it inside it is like there are just too many nice people there. Really. How do they find and train team members to be so courteous, helpful, cheerful and willing to answer your questions. It’s a nice change of pace there.
Love what they are doing. Weaver’s gives much of their attention and support to local growers and food producers. You will find local goat cheese, granola, baked goods, honey and canned items.
Where can you get “sexy olives,” you ask. You did ask, didn’t you? Get your sexy at Weaver’s.
Not just sexy olives, local breads and local honey… you can also find gorgeous flowers galore!!!
So, let’s begin…
makes approx. 30 min cakes
make them sweet or savory… consider adding fresh herbs to the batter
- 2 eggs
- 2 T butter, melted but cool
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, bob’s red mill GF all purpose flour (what I used) or buckwheat flour (makes them purplish in color)
- 1 tsp organic sugar or agave
- 2/3 cup milk (1 scant cup when using buckwheat flour)
- pinch salt
- whip the eggs, by hand, with a whisk. whip in the butter & sugar
- gradually add the flour
- will become very thick and you may need to use a spoon
- gradually add the milk (important… you can always make it thinner by adding more milk… so at this point test a tablespoon on a hot griddle to see if you like the thickness)
- need it thinner, add more milk a tablespoon at a time
- I used a mustard bottle with the tip cut down to squeeze the batter onto the pan. You can get creative and make lace-like shapes or just circles. Spoon on the medium hot griddle pan.
Use within a day or 2, at the most. You can freeze extra pancakes to have on hand for last minute guests. Place between layers of waxed paper and freeze.
- greek yogurt, maple syrup, lemon zest & blueberries
- ricotta & sweetener with cherries or peaches
- chevre, fresh herbs and raspberries, blackberries
- cheddar and apple
- nutella & strawberries/bananas
- pears & blue cheese
- hot pepper jelly & cream cheese