A Mixed Berry Slump is easy to mix up and perfect for breakfast or dessert. You can decide to serve it with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or ice cream. I prefer to prepare it as a vegan recipe, substituting the non-dairy milk and coconut oil for the milk and butter.
I’m calling this a slump but it’s not, even thought it’s a bit like a slump. It’s a cross between a slump and a cobbler. Slump has the biscuits dropped on top and the cobbler is a lighter and sweeter cake. The cake in this recipe is not cake nor biscuit… I’m slumped on a name.
Anyway you work it out this was one of three berry recipes featured in the summer issue of Susquehanna Style with Blueberry Chutney and Blackberry Peach Upside Down Cake.
- Fruit Ingredients
- 4 cups blackberries, red or black raspberries, blueberries or strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps, optional
- Topping Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Set aside one cup of berries. In a large bowl, gently toss three cups of berries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, zest and schnapps. Spread in a buttered 8” x 8” baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers. Stir in the milk. Scoop the mixture over the berries, top with remaining one cup of berries. Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for 45-50 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.
Beautiful photo. I must try the recipe!