The real treat in my Truffle Cheesy Gratin is the Il Truffelino cheese. I picked it, and a few other special cheeses, up from The Savory Gourmet in Lititz. We visited this cheese shop on a Second Friday event. The Savory Gourmet had so any wonderful samples! With such a selection of unique cheeses it helped with the selection. The owner suggested using the Il Truffelino on roasted or Hassleback Potatoes. This Cheesy Gratin dish seemed inevitable.
It’s funny (to me, anyway) that Dan liked it so much there was only a small corner left when I went to take a few photos!
I did use a mandoline to make working with the potatoes easier.
- 2½ pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 ounces (approximately ¾ cup) blend of grated Gruyere cheese and ,Il Truffelino, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic scapes or chives
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease a 1½ quart casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the potatoes, milk, ½ cup grated cheese blend, parmesan, thyme, salt, and garlic scapes.
- Stack the potato slices and begin to pack the casserole dish. Be sure the potatoes are snuggly packed. Pour leftover liquid over the potatoes, sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese, cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and bake, un-covered for 15 minutes, until golden.