This is a great lazy day chicken recipe to prepare when it is too hot to cook dinner indoors and you have garden veggies you need to experiment with. We had friends over for dinner last night and this was a simple recipe to prepare after a busy morning.
Really, experiment with what you have in the garden or with what is seasonal from your local CSA. Fennel, orange and feta . . . zucchini and pineapple . . . red onion, pepper and rosemary . . . you get the idea
zucchini & tomato grilled chicken breasts
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 1 med-large tomato, sliced into approximately 6-8 slices then halved
- 1 small-medium zucchini, sliced into approximately 8 slices
- basil leaves, I used 8 of the largest leaves for ease
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil
- kabob skewers cut to 16 3 ” pieces to close the chicken before grilling
fresh garlic and lemon marinade
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 T garlic glove, minced ***I put extra bulbs in the food processor, add oil and put in a glass jar to store in the freezer to use until the next season of bulbs are ready to harvest ***
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
Place the butterflied chicken in a pan to marinate and top with the pepper, zested lemon, juice, a drizzle of olive oil and garlic. Work the lemon and garlic on the chicken and into the sliced breast. Cover and macerate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the tomato and zucchini slices. I like to coat my zucchini slices with the garlic and a light drizzle of olive oil. Place in the fridge until assembly.
Assemble the breast by stuffing with the basil leaf, tomato and zucchini. Close with the skewer. Coat the grill with non-stick cooking spray and cook until the juices run clear. We put some freshly picked corn on the grill as well! yum