Let’s get this out of the way up front. Waffles. Rules don’t apply to waffles. They can be prepared either sweet or savory. These rum and spice sweet potato waffles can be enjoyed as a savory dish and vice versa.
Want to sneak more veggies into your diet, looking for a creative use of inexpensive good-for-you sweet potatoes give this recipe a try.
If you’d like to have some fun with this recipe, enjoy it as an ice cream sandwich. A bourbon or butter pecan ice cream would be nice. Salty caramel, maybe? Better yet, make mini-ice cream sandwiches and dollop with jam or caramel. Oh! How about dipping half of the mini-sandwiches in melted, chai-spiced chocolate (white or dark).
You could always keep it simple and prepare these just as they are but beyond maple syrup you could try an apple cider sauce. Anyway you slice it, these are rather tasty!
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups whole wheat white or spelt flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut, date or organic sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup organic sweet potato or pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup organic, raw coconut oil melted or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons spiced rum (substitute orange juice or apple juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the wet ingredients. Combine the flour mixture with the sweet potato mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Prepare waffles per waffle maker instructions.