Let’s talk quinoa. It’s easy to make (takes about 15 minutes and mostly hands off), is a meat-free complete protein and is gluten-free. It freezes well and is uber versatile. In a recent post, I shared a plateful of roasted veggies that made a great chilled salad on a bed of quinoa and would have been just as tasty if served warm.
Here is another quick tip for using quinoa… add it to eggs and black beans to make an easy baked frittata. I feel recipes are made to be broken, use this recipe as a guideline only. You can make a themed frittata…. say…. mexican – black beans, peppers, a bit of chili seasoning, cheddar and top with a garden fresh salsa (add mango or pineapple) OR greek – a bit of lemon pepper, feta, dried oregano, spinach served with a dollop of greek yogurt and lemon zest OR gardener’s delight – fill this bad boy with shredded zucchini, carrots, chopped tomato, basil, thyme, chard … you’re the gardener, add what you like!
- 1×18 inch baking pan with a 1-inch deep
- 18 medium eggs
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried herb or herb blend (Mrs. Dash, thyme or Italian herb blend)
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¾ cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup sautéed blend of vegetables (mushrooms, red pepper, chopped spinach, swiss chard, shredded carrots, beets or beet greens)
- 1 cup chopped onion, sautéed until tender
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled or shredded cheese (feta, chèvre, or monterey jack)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking pan with butter (even if non-stick, eggs or finicky)
- Combine the eggs, yogurt, herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl using a hand-mixer or whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the black beans, vegetables, onion, quinoa, garlic and cheese onto the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or chilled.
Becca's Kitchen says
This looks great! I love your recipes and pictures. Thanks for blogging! 🙂
thanks becca! (love your posts too)
Becca's Kitchen says
Thanks! 🙂 I still mean to try this one…will let you know how it goes if I do!