I whipped up a recipe for a Vegan Chocolate Joe Cake (the recipe is coming). It was a moist, yummy cake with a creamy, smooth peanut butter icing but felt it needed a bit more chocolate java flavor.
I’m not a fan of buying faux food syrup in a bottle, especially if you read the ingredients of chocolate syrup. If you make it you’ll know what’s going into a recipe. This one is easy enough. Use organic sugar in the raw or organic cane sugar if you’d like to skip GMO’s.
- ¼ cup coffee
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur (optional)
- In a small saucepan bring the coffee, water, and sugar to a boil. Reduce to low simmer. Whisk in the cocoa, vanilla, and salt. Continue whisking until the mixture reduces to ¾ cup about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate liqueur or rum. Cool completely before using.