In honor of my “it’s still summah” declaration here is my Chilled Pea Soup recipe. But wait! (oh, I’m so clever.) I saved this one for last. As we transition from summer to fall enjoy this soup chilled or warmed. I love the simplicity of the flavors.
If you’d like to get fancy or you don’t mind meat add a bit of bacon crumbles, soft or smoked cheese crumbles. You can play with onion substitution in the recipe, using what’s in season. Think leeks, shallots or other onion varieties. You could also make a pureed herb oil blend to drizzle on top… EVOO, tarragon, parsley, hot pepper flakes…. you get the idea and I think you can handle it.
- 14 ounces potato, cut into 1-inch cubes, peeling optional
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Phoebe’s Herb Dipping Oil Blend or dried Italian herb blend
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and a drizzle
- 4 ounces leeks, whites sliced and washed
- 2 pounds frozen/fresh hulled peas or a blend of hulled peas and sugar snap peas (ends and strings removed)
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegan cashew cream (1/2 cup water blended with ½ cup raw cashews until creamy) use non-fat Greek yogurt for a non-vegan version
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil and non-stick spray.
- Toss the potatoes, garlic and dried herbs with a drizzle of olive oil to lightly coat. Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until golden, 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Sauté the leeks, tarragon and 2 teaspoons of olive oil until the leeks are tender.
- Add the peas to the leeks. If you are using sugar snap peas sauté them first for 6 minutes adding the hulled peas for the last 2 minutes. If you are using only hulled peas sauté for only 2 minutes. Do not overcook the peas it will diminish the bright green color.
- Allow the pea mixture to cool.
- In small batches, puree the peas and potatoes with the broth, cashew cream and lemon juice, in a high-speed blender until smooth. Strain all the ingredients into a large bowl, whisking to evenly combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with diced chives, a dollop or cashew cream. For a non-vegan topping use sour cream, non-fat greek yogurt