If you are looking for a quick and easy one-pot dinner my Cabbage Noodle Skillet Dinner fits the bill. This is a simple way to use local cabbage, apples and sausage to prepare an all-in-one dish. Dan loves it and it’s easy to make. I’ll be making this a few times now that the chilly weather has settled in.
No need to go further than Berks to find meat options. Easily substitute the smoked turkey breast with your favorite local sausage or kielbasa. Butcher Bill Cavanaugh, Dundore & Heister, suggests their smoked pulled pork or brined and smoked “Kassler Rippchen” (smoked pork chop). You could also grab any one of Hi-Way Meat Market’s one dozen sausage flavors.
Easily prepare the dish gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta, like Tinkyada brand GF pastas.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 3 cups (13-16 ounces) chopped smoked turkey breast
- 1 cup lager-style beer
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 cups prepared wide egg noodle pasta
- 1 small tart apple, quartered, seeded and sliced
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- In a large skillet sauté the onions in melted butter over medium-low heat for 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, add cabbage to the onions; sauté for 8 -10 minutes.
- To the cabbage add the turkey breast, beer, salt, pepper, vinegar and mustard and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir the noodles and apple into the cabbage. Cover and bake in a 350ºF preheated oven for 2o minutes.
- Stir, garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve.