I’m not one to tell you how to enjoy your food. This Apple Cardamom Crumb Cake is unique circumstance. I need you to act in your own best interest and urge you to enjoy this cake with your favorite hot beverage, good company and while this cake is still warm. That last bit is important, “while this cake is still warm.” Don’t get me wrong, it’s still amazing on day two.
This is the perfect weekender, brunch day recipe. With pears and apples in season you can easily substitute either in this recipe. I shared it as a vegan recipe but if you prefer to do it all up with butter and eggs, by all means enjoy!
Okay now, hop to it! May husband can’t keep his hands off this cake. I wonder if he’d feel the same way if I served it with a salted caramel ice cream. Probably.
- Crumb Topping Ingredients
- ½ cup spelt flour or whole wheat white flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (vegan butter)
- Cake Ingredients
- 2½ cups spelt flour or whole wheat white flour
- ⅔ cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch orange zest
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (vegan butter optional)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5-6 ounces) chopped apple
- Prepare the crumb topping by mixing the flour, oats, sugar and oil until pea sized clumps form. Refrigerate while thou prepare the cake.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and orange zest.
- Whisk the coconut oil, applesauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir the coconut mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the apples.
- Spoon into a greased, 9-inch round baking dish. Spread with the crumb topping.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.