With kitchen time in mind, economical and easy are wonderful words. But being short on time doesn’t have to mean a compromise on eating well. Soup is an easy bargain to make, the perfect pairing of healthy convenience and cost savings—not to mention the comfort a bowl of soup brings. Let the scents welcome family and guests alike, for fuss-free entertaining, or a healthful dinner on these cool days before spring peeks through with pops of green. Preparing soups can be a kitchen adventure, a journey to savory new flavors from regions beyond your backyard, a perfect excuse to try curry, coriander or miso.
This simple and satisfying Spiced Lentil Soup is easy to prepare and vegan to boot. Follow the recipe for stove-top directions or prepare in a slow cooker, on low, for several hours. Substitutions are easy for this recipe if you chose not to prepare it as a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
Easy dinner in a pinch that’s easy on the wallet too! Don’t worry, I’ve got your back!
(psst! This recipe was featured in Susquehanna Style Magazine’s March 2015 issue for Soup Suppers)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (about 8 ounces) onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium (about 8 ounces) apple, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups (12 ounces) red lentils (or use yellow split peas)
- Sea salt
- Smoked paprika
- Lime wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Coconut cream or yogurt (non-vegan option)
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the olive oil over low-medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until tender.
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry, turmeric and coriander; for one minute, stir into the onions.
- Add the broth, sweet potato, lentils and apple. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After the lentils and sweet potato have softened, serve as is or puree with a stick blender.
- Season with salt. Garnish with smoked paprika, fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro or cream.