Tonight’s dinner only took a few quick minutes to prepare. Grilling or roasting this Vegetable Stuffed Chicken dish keeps it simple.
I visited a few farm stands today. Zucchini has arrived and garlic scapes are doing their twirly dance in our flower beds. With a freshly made strawberry salsa and what could be a better partner but Vegetable Stuffed Chicken? It’s an easy way to stretch your meat dollars. Per pound, seasonal veggies will cost less that meat and with this recipe you can easily feed two ravenous folks or four with a normal appetite.
You might have some fresh herbs in the garden and if I had more time would have made a quick pesto to use as a rub… grab herbs, garlic, splash of olive oil, spinach, arugula, and maybe a citrus zest and whiz it in the blender or mini-food processor.
Vegetable Stuffed Chicken Breast
Serves two to four
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied
- Balsamic dressing, homemade pesto, vinaigrette or lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 small, skinny zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 onion slices
- 1/2 pepper, sliced
- garlic scapes or garlic slices
- 1 recipe of strawberry salsa, to use as a topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF or fire up the grill.
- Open the butterflied chicken beast and rub/brush on the dressing followed by layering in the veggies. Fold the breast closed. If you need to secure the breast closed use bamboo skewers or tie with cooking twine. Securing with twine will be helpful if you choose grill versus oven bake.
- Drizzle extra dressing/pesto over the top and cook for approximately 20 minutes, until juices run clear.
- Serve with a topping of strawberry salsa.