Before we knew it the summer sun began to set earlier each week, as the evening air gets cooler homegrown tomatoes will soon be gone. Gone, baby, gone! Quick! Make this Tomato Caprese Salad happen this weekend.
Be sure to try this simply pleasing Tomato Caprese Salad before local tomatoes disappear. It was always a hit for my catered lunch and meal deliveries.
I like a bit of tomato, bean and mozzarella in every bite. Using butter beans makes it easy to keep the pieces of tomato and cheese a consistent size. Lastly, be sure to buy smoked buffalo mozzarella if you spot it. Substituting smoked mozzarella adds a lovely, subtle flavor.
Happy post-summering and sun-setting!
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can broad beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1 cup basil leaves, julienned
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Gently toss the beans, artichoke, tomato and basil. Coat with olive oil. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or chilled.