Sun dried tomatoes are super concentrated in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, and rich in flavor. They are full of nutrients and fiber but when processed their vitamin c is diminished but other antioxidants (cancer fighters) are boosted. Tomatoes are probably the only vegetable that becomes more nutritious when processed … so cheers to canned tomatoes! Cut the processed sugar out of your diet and make your own pasta sauce!
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, use dried and not packed in oil to control the fat
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
3 T basil pesto
Splash of olive oil if needed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil, in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, add tomatoes and cover for 6 minutes. Reserve the water.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, pesto, and about 4 T of the water into a food processor and pulse until desired texture. Be careful not to over process or you will end up with paste. Use the tomato water or oil if you think it is too thick.
- Add some heat with cayenne or pepper flakes
- Add some sweetness with chopped, yellow raisins
- If you want to sneak some heart healthy legumes into your diet add some white beans to make a sun dried tomato hummus. Use it as a healthy dip alternative for veggies/bread or as a spread for sandwiches/wraps.
- I have a turkey cooking as I type that I rubbed with the pesto and some extra garlic… smells fab
- I made shepard’s pie this weekend using ground turkey and added pesto, red wine and some tamari to season the poultry … dan loved it
- Use with cheese, of your choice, as a stuffing for a chicken breast.
- Freeze to use later as an addition to soups or to enrich a homemade tomato sauce.
- add it to cream cheese…
Leave a Reply