This Sausage Apple Quesadilla recipe makes a quick and easy meal or after school snack!
Find locally produced sausage in one of our region’s many farm markets. You’ll find various seasoned sausage options, too. Chicken sausage works really well and cooks in a few short minutes. I prepare this version, for Dan, using a buffalo seasoned chicken sausage.
I prefer meat-free quesadillas (using something like, locally made, Neat Meat or chopped mushrooms). My next variation might include thinly sliced cabbage sauteed with apple cider vinegar and a bit of honey.
Use a gluten-free tortillas for those with gluten sensitivities.
Quesadillas don’t come with fast rules, prepare them with your favorite flavors in mind.
You’ll find various seasoned sausage options, too. I prepared, for my husband, using a buffalo seasoned chicken sausage. Use a vegetarian meat substitute, if you prefer.
- ½ pound turkey or chicken sausage
- 1½ cups (7 ounces) bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1½ cups (5 ounces) onion slices
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 7 to 8-inch round tortillas (corn tortillas for GF)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, quartered and sliced
Optional toppings: Diced, fresh tomatoes, pica de gallo, guacamole, beans, low-fat sour cream or shredded romaine.
- In a skillet over medium heat sauté the sausage until it crumbles; drain any excess grease, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Sauté the pepper and onion with a splash of olive oil, if needed, until tender. Remove from heat.
- Melt a half teaspoon of butter on the skillet/griddle over medium heat and lay a tortilla on the skillet. Assemble the quesadilla by layering half the tortilla with cheese, sausage, pepper, onion, apple and cheese. Fold the tortilla over. Cook until just golden and carefully flip; toast the other side.
- Cut the quesadilla into wedges and serve with your favorite topping!