In a recent cooking class I taught at Zest!, the theme was spiralized dishes. We made Noodle-less Lasagna Nests, Mac-less and Cheese, and a Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad. Beets are easy to work with in a spiralized and keep their shape when roasted.
We had fun experimenting with different vegetables on the spiralizer’s multiple blade attachments. It was the Paderno brand spiralizer. I have an older version. I like the ease of storage, use, cleaning and the shapes it makes.
This dish makes an easy, warm side dish. It can be enjoyed chilled or on a bed of mixed greens.
- Salad Ingredients
- 1 pound beets, peeled and spiralized
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit peel
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 grapefruit, peel grated and segmented
- 1 handful fresh spinach or greens
- ¼ cup crumbled feta (or vegan feta substitute)
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, pecans or pumpkin seeds
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- Dressing Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic
- 2 Tablespoons grapefruit juice
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and grease.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the beets with the oil, peel, salt and thyme. Spread on a baking sheet and roast 8-10 minutes. Check after 6 minutes to be sure they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven. Prepare the dressing. In a cup whisk the oil, balsamic, juice, mustard and salt.
- In a serving bowl toss the beets, dressing, grapefruit segments. Garnish with cheese and nuts.