Skip the drive-through frozen latte. Start your day off on the right foot by whipping up this easy Mocha Nut Smoothie.
I used a bit of coffee, boosting the chocolate flavor, but the maca powder gives a healthy pep to your step. Maca is a South American root vegetable processed into a powder and used as a natural energy booster. It is rich in B vitamins and amino acids. Maca gives a bit of a malted flavor to the smoothie. Local healthful food stores carry maca powder. You may also to find it in the organic section of your local grocer. As a bonus dark chocolate is antioxidant rich, so go ahead and enjoy!
If you crave the bottomless jar of hazelnut spread or sugar-laden fast food smoothies, put that spoon or straw down! This smoothie may help. Knowing the ingredients we use to prepare this smoothie allows for guilt-free enjoyment.
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- scant ¼ cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon dutch or dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons maca powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons raw organic agave or maple syrup
- 5 ice cubes
- Optional additions and substitutions
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup low-fat and sugar-free yogurt or keifer (use a non-dairy option for a vegan smoothie)
- ½ banana
- Substitute hazelnuts with almonds, peanuts or raw cashews
- Substitute the natural sweetener with dates or date sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth