what a tasty way to incorporate heart healthy beans into your diet. I should take some of my advice. I made my hummus last night and for lunch spread it on some whole wheat naan and toasted for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven then topped with feta. Crazy good! sometimes when we keep it simple… Again, get creative and use specialty ingredients that tickle your fancy to made this hummus your own.
- serve it with whole wheat pita/naan
- but why not put it on the pita/naan and toast it
- then top it with a fresh tomato, basil & mozzarella (smoked mozz yum…)
- or try a feta and dill with a squeeze of lime juice
Basic killer hummus recipe
- 3 c chickpeas
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped (start with 2 cloves and taste as you go)
- 2T sesame seeds, powdered in a coffee/spice mill
- 4 splashes tamari/soy sauce
- 3T lemon juice
- cayenne, to taste
- olive oil and/or water to thin (use more water and less oil if you want low fat)
whiz all the ingredients in a food processor. I like mine with a bit of texture but not as thick as spackle. I add olive oil, maybe 1/4 cup, as it is blending then use water (to cut the fat) until the desired texture is achieved.