chocolate chipotle olive oil shortbread bar cookie
I make this shortbread for a local tea house and I'm told it's a favorite. I love the slight warmth that the chipotle infused olive oil brings to the sweet cookie.
: phoebe's pure food
: dessert, GF or vegan optional
- 2¼ cups whole wheat white flour, spelt flour or Bob’s Redmill GF Biscuit & Baking Mix
- ⅓ cup dutch processed coco powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature (use vegan butter, if you prefer)
- ⅓ cup Seasons Taproom Chipotle infused EVOO
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1½ teaspoon granulated instant coffee
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar, reserved for sprinkling
- Whisk flour, powdered sugar, coco powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter until creamy. Slowly incorporate olive oil until blended.
- With mixer still running add sugar, instant coffee and vanilla extract. Incorporate the flour mixture until combined.
- Prepare 9”x9” baking dish with butter and 1 piece of parchment paper that drapes from one side of the pan to the other side (2 sides will be covered with paper). This will help in removing the cookie from the pan. Gently press the cookie dough into the pan. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm to touch.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons sugar.
- You must the cookie cool to set. Cut and enjoy. This recipe freezes well.