I may be springing this recipe on you a bit early in the season, but you don’t need to wait for garden-fresh strawberries to enjoy this on-the-go treat (I love granola and strawberries as a topping for vanilla bean ice cream). It’s a hit with people of all ages – in fact, half of my last batch disappeared before it made it into the jar!
Homemade granola is much more than just a breakfast cereal. It’s perfect when you’re looking for a trail snack, or just craving something crunchy and sweet but without too much guilt. Mixing up a batch of Extreme Chocolate Chocolate Chip Granola will fill your belly with a nutritious snack.
This lightly sweet granola recipe can easily be adapted to cut a bit more fat and still taste great. It can also be prepared gluten-free (use gluten-free oats) or vegan (use dairy-free chocolate chips and coconut oil instead of butter). You can get a batch into the oven with less than 10 minutes of prep time, then enjoy it in so many ways:
- Top a bowl of ice-cream with granola and fresh fruit (garden fresh strawberries).
- Enjoy a warm bowl of granola by adding steamed milk, a drizzle of honey and fresh fruit.
- Make your own trail mix by adding dried fruits, seeds or more nuts after the granola has dried.
- Mix into smoothies for an extra treat.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup sliced raw almonds, divided
- ¾ cup walnuts pieces
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅔ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, ½ cup almonds, walnuts, 1 cup coconut flakes, cocoa powder, and sugar; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, oil, vanilla, almond extract and salt; mix until smooth. Add the maple syrup mixture to the oats. Stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line a large baking sheet (or two smaller sheets) with parchment paper, then spread the granola evenly over the sheet.
- Bake in a 250ºF preheated oven for 45 minutes. At 45 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips, remaining ¼ cup coconut flakes and almonds over the granola. Bake for 8 more minutes.
- Allow the granola to cool on the baking sheet until dry. Store in an air-tight container.
Leave a Reply