Looking for a healthy snack to break some bad snacking habits? This is it. My No-Bake Granola Bar (vegan) recipe offers flexibility for personal taste, is easy to prepare, keeps well when refrigerated and uber chewy when chilled overnight. It’s likely to please the little ones as much as the grown ups. Hop to it, tomorrow is waiting!
I prepared a Chocolate Orange Shortbread recipe for the January issue of Berks County Living (easily adapted to a vegan recipe) but wanted a tasty, healthy snack to pair with it. This bar recipe is it. I’ve made variations of this bar for years. Have fun playing with flavors. We enjoyed a recent batch made with local pumpkin butter. Have fun with the recipe!
Prepare as a gluten-free recipe by using gluten-free rolled oats.
Recipe tips Add extra flavor by roasting the oats in a 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes. Roast nuts until desired crunch, based on the nut used. These bars will keep in the freezer or refrigerator for several weeks. Pre-cut and package to have a healthy snack in a pinch.
- 1½ cups rolled oats (gluten-free rolled oats are optional)
- 1 cup chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- ⅓ cup all-natural peanut butter or nut butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or raw organic agave
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powered
- Pinch sea salt
Optional additions or substitutions
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin or fruit butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Substitute ¼ cup of the rolled oats will toasted quinoa or millet
- Substitute an equal portion of the nuts for chopped dried fruit or chocolate chips
- Substitute vanilla with another flavor extract
- Mix the oats, nuts, coconut and chia seeds; set aside.
- Combine the dates, nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon powder until smooth.
- Add the date mixture to the rolled oats. Stir until evenly blended.
- Scoop into an 8”x8” parchment or waxed paper lined pan. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut and enjoy!