It happens to me this time of year. Large jars of apple butter start to grab my attention. My eyes get big and the wheels start spinning. In reply, I made Apple Chicken BBQ. Apple butter works well with yogurt, basting sauce, vinaigrette, smoothies and slathered on a scone.
This BBQ recipe is perfect for a fall or game day gathering.
During apple season it’s easy to grab a jar of apple butter at local farm markets or apple festivals. If left unopened it will keep for a few weeks. Check the ingredients list for added sugar. Fruit butter does not need added sugar.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 9 ounces apple butter
- 1, 19 ounce jar Cortazzo brand Awesome in a Jar BBQ Sauce
- In a small skillet over medium-low head sauté the onions in olive oil until tender; set aside.
- Place the chicken into a slow-cooker, cover with the onions and BBQ sauce. Cook on high for approximately 4 hours or on low for 6+ hours, until the chicken is cooked through and can be shredded.
- Remove each breast and place in a medium bowl, shred the chicken using 2 forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, repeating until all each breast has been shredded.
- Serve with sweet pickles, cheese or coleslaw!