Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins to the post-holiday, new year, new you rescue! Go ahead and give yourself a hug for choosing to bake your own snacks and treats.
Baking from scratch beats buying a box mix any day. Decide how healthy you want your baked goods to be and where to splurge. I prefer baking with organic, whole grain flour, egg-free and minimally refined sugar ingredients.
- Substitute organic granulated sugar 1:1 with coconut, date or demerara sugar. Using different sugars may result in a different texture. Some are also less sweet than processed sugars.
- Make the muffins fat-free by substituting applesauce for the oil.
- Swap the blueberries for raspberries or chopped apples.
- If you are new to whole grain flour, start by using ½ regular flour and ½ whole wheat white.
- Done test. A toothpick inserted and removed from the center of a muffin should be clean.
- Whisk the flour before measuring, especially when not baking by weight, making sure it is not too compressed.
- An ice cream scoop makes dividing the batter into the muffin tin fuss-free.
Easily make the recipe vegan (how I enjoy them) by using a non-dairy milk and an egg substitute. Substitute for the eggs with two tablespoons of ground flax seeds mixed with ½ cup water.
- 2¼ cups white whole wheat flour, unbleached
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup milk (unsweetened non-dairy or low-fat milk)
- ¼ cup canola, safflower or organic coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs or egg substitute (see above note)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon peel; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the milk, oil, applesauce, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in the blueberries. Fill cups of the greased muffin pan. Sprinkle a bit of sugar on each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
Find Recipe Tips in the blog post