’Tis the pumpkin-done-101-ways season. Have you pretty much had it up to your ears with pumpkin recipes or can you not get enough? This Whiskey Maple Pumpkin Butter recipe will get you in the pumpkin spirit, if only as the prefect foodie or hostess gift. Beware, it is a bit addicting. This recipe uses only natural sugars and locally sourced ingredients from the pumpkin and Kauffman’s apple cider to the PA maple syrup.
My wheels started to turn when I spied this season’s first pumpkin puree. There is always pie, pasta sauce, ravioli filling, soup or baking additions but I was looking for a neighborly thank you gift. This recipe is always a hit and a cinch to make.
When you gift the Whiskey Maple Pumpkin Butter include a few recipe tips. Find fruit butter recipe tips here. Make a lovely basket by including the pumpkin butter, handmade Orange Spiced Butter, a quick batch of homemade biscuits or my Berry Vegan Quick Bread.
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ whiskey or bourbon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a one or two quart saucepan and stir until combined.
- Heat the pumpkin mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 40-50 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
- The pumpkin mixture may produce hot, splashing bubbles. If this occurs turn the heat lower or prop a plate over the saucepan by placing 2 wooden spatulas on the saucepan and putting a plate on the spatulas.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate.