It’s time to break out your blender! Seasonal smoothies reign supreme with bountiful, local produce. A Watermelon Basil Slushie is a crave-able summer treat, proving something so tasty can be guilt-free.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) halved strawberries
- ½ cup loosely packed, fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup water or freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 4 cups (12-14 ounces) cubed watermelon, frozen
- Put the strawberries, basil, water, lime juice, zest and sugar in the blender. Add half of the watermelon and blend until smooth. Gradually add the remaining watermelon, blending until smooth.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.
Recipe note: If you are not using a high speed blender feel to use more liquid, making blending a bit easier. If you like it a bit sweeter add an extra tablespoon of sugar.