Due to the winter weather we just survived a shaking off our hibernation is in order. I’ve got a healthy, sweet snack in mind, my Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Sweater shedding weather is just around the corner and you’ll want a low-fat, low-sugar breakfast or snack on the run. I like to feel as if I can indulge, a bit, in a baked good without going overboard.
This recipe has about half the fat and calories as a traditional, buttery and sugary banana bread. Use semi-sweet chocolate chips for a non-vegan version. For a fat-free banana bread, skip the chocolate chips and walnuts. I’d suggest keeping the chips and nuts!
Approximate : 155 calories – 4g fat – 28g carbs – 2g fiber – 8g sugar – 4g protein
- 2¼ cups (10 ounces) whole wheat white flour
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips (use semi-sweet chocolate chips for a non-vegan version)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup (6-ounces) mashed banana
- ½ cup unsweetend applesauce or more mashed banana
- ½ cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon rum
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, nuts, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce, maple syrup, banana, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool before removing from the pan.