This is my “clean out the fridge” soup. On a recent visit to Lancaster Central Market, with a friend, I picked up a head of cabbage from Groff’s Vegetables. We had talked about cabbage soup on the drive in.
We ate so poorly this weekend…can’t even admit what we ate. Today, with the chill still in the air and snow still on the ground what a perfectly cozy notion to make soup. It doesn’t make up for what we ate.
I gathered the this and that veggies and left over beans to make this “cabbage soup” and followed the cheat seasonings that my friend suggested, a packet of french onion soup mix…2 actually this made buckets of soup.
This is a grab wathca got soup so this is just how I made it with what I had on hand. Substitute what you like.
sunday cabbage soup love
- 5 small carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cups beans (cooked)
- 7 small cloves garlic, chopped
- snap peas, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 small can of tomato paste
- approximately 8 cups broth
- 2 packets of french onion soup (my mom use to make this using a packet of dried ranch dressing mix)
sauté the veggies in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the tomatoes, broth and seasonings. cover, simmer and enjoy after 30 minutes.