‘tis the season for comfort food and this kind of comfort is not kind to your heart. This is a dish I whip up only once a year and it generally makes so much I share with my neighbors. The premise is simple and you can use what you find in the fridge to make this. I added some things that a friend said she has seen used in a recipe for mac and cheese.
- 1 pound box of whole wheat pasta
- 3/4 lb of cheese… get creative… I picked up the odds and ends pieces the deli sells (swiss, cheddar, farmer’s, pepper, american) use cheddar if you like
- 1 lb box of Velveeta (it use to be cheese)
- bechamel sauce : melt 3T butter, add 1/2 cup onion and 1 clove garlic, enough flour until a paste forms (approx 4T) then gradually mix in milk until saucy (1 – 2 cups)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp soy or Worcestershire sauce
make the bechamel sauce then add the cheese and cook over med/low heat until it is gooey, creamy good then mix in the cooked pasta. Lightly coat a 9×12 pan and scoop in the goods. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes!