Looking for a fresh approach to beets and butternut squash? I’ve been on the road recently, talking about seasonal, wholesome eating (love!). One of the recipes I shared is this Easy Raw Beet Slaw. You’ll love it for 3 reasons.
- It’s super inexpensive.
- It’s quick to prepare.
- You can play with the flavors.
- BONUS: it’s so good for you… the fiber (gut and heart health) the phytonutrients (eating the rainbow often means eating antioxidants… helps with cancer prevention)
Give this recipe a try. When I was sampling these salads at Lititz Farmer’s Market, Zest! (I had a cooking class there and will be back on November) and the Breast Cancer Support Services folks were surprised at both the taste and gorgeous color! Some beet haters were converted to beet lovers! I’ve added some simple optional ingredients for the recipe just to give your inspiration a nudge.
Give it a whirl! Perfect for healthy lunches and a beautiful side salad at the holidays!
- Dressing Ingredients
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon jam
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional additions: mashed fresh/frozen berries, cherries, fresh orange segments or freshly grated ginger
- Salad ingredients
- 1 cup shredded raw beets, pre-peeled
- 1 cup shredded raw carrots, pre-peeled
- 1 cup shredded raw butternut squash, pre-peeled and seeded
- 1 apple or pear, cored and cubed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (slivered almonds, pistachios or pumpkin/sunflower seeds)
- Optional additions: sliced fennel bulb, orange segments, jicama, dried fruit or whole grain/rice
- Instructions for dressing : Whisk dressing ingredients, unless you are using fresh fruit. Puree all ingredients in a blender when fruit is used.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Instructions for salad
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add as much or as little dressing as you prefer to the salad.
- Garnish with feta or goat cheese, if enjoying as a non-vegan salad.