A delicious salsa is possible only during tomato season. My Blueberry Salsa recipe is an easy, healthy excuse to eat the rainbow and adding seasonal fruit makes it even better! The recipe was one of several berry inspired recipes featured in the July 2015 issue of Susquehanna Style Magazine.
In addition to enjoying by the scoopful, pair with grilled meats or vegetables or use as a salad topper.
In a recent cooking class at Weaver’s Orchard I prepared Blueberry Butter, 5-Minute Blueberry Chia Jam, Blueberry Chutney, Vegan Blueberry Cornbread and a Blueberry Salsa. Let’s think beyond muffins!
Freeze blueberries on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with waxed paper. When the berries have frozen store them in dated plastic bags to have all season. Use frozen berries for jams, sauces or fruit butter when you have a craving for something sweet.
- 1 lime, grated peel and juice
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, diced or minced fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons berry shrub or vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon diced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Grate the peel of the lime. Add ½ teaspoon to the salsa. Juice the lime.
- Mix it all together and enjoy!