It’s an Apple Friendship Cake. Just the recipe you’ll reach for when guests are expected or to share a thank you with a friend or neighbor.
Tasty when warm—and just as good on day two or three. If calories are not a concern, be sure to use the Brown Butter Whiskey Sauce recipe, and if you’d like to enjoy with reckless abandon, well then, it’ll need a scoop of vanilla ice cream, too.
To prepare as a vegan cake (my preference), substitute the eggs with 3 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 9 tablespoons of water.
- Cake Ingredients
- 1½ cups organic or granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup raw and organic coconut or canola oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Brown Butter Whiskey Sauce Ingredients
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup whiskey or cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Generously grease and flour-dust a 8-9” tube or bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk the sugar and eggs until creamy. Add the applesauce, oil and extracts whisking until smooth; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; then add the apples and walnuts. Mix with only a few strokes until combined.
- Scoop the thick batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour (or 1 hour, 8 minutes), or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Un-mold the cake and spread with the warm sauce.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter until it bubbles; then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until it just turns golden (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the brown sugar, whiskey, salt and vanilla; stir and boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.