A simple, cost-effective, versatile summer dish can be whipped up in a hurry and still be flavorful. Using summer’s farm fresh ingredients to prepare a healthy dish makes this Tomato Feta Crustless Quiche a simple summer go-to.
What goodies fill your market basket? Freshly baked bread, honey, cheese, sugary sweet peaches, tender greens or sun ripened tomatoes? I recently interviewed Forrest Pritchard, New York Times best selling author and farmer, for my 2 Weird Hungry Girls podcast. We chatted about the impact local farmers make on our environment and economy and he tried out some new stand-up material.
Forrest’s message is consistent. He wants farmers to know success is possible while incorporating sustainable, organic farming practices and by offering creatives lines of business. But it’s his message to consumers that interests me. When asked what the average Jane or Joe can do to support local growers, he said, “shop the farmer’s market, even when it is raining.”
Let’s stay connected and get to know our neighbors. I feature local producers in upcoming blog and podcast interviews. I love their stories as much as speaking with other shoppers at local farm markets. Chat with strangers while you are in line. You’ll be sure to find fun recipe inspiration and make a new market acquaintance!
Field to plate options make this crustless quiche fresh and flavorful. Every ingredient, with the exception of the olives, can be sourced at a local growers farm market.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives, divided (optional)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425˚F and grease a 10-inch, deep pie dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat sauté the onions in the olive oil until tender, toss in the tomatoes and turn off the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs and yogurt until smooth. Whisk in the dill, salt, pepper, spinach, half of the olives and feta cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking pan. Sprinkle with the onion, tomato and remaining olives and feta cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and set in the center.
- Serve warm or chilled.