Rice bowl recipes make the perfect dinner for two to six, are an easy way to use leftovers and keep fussy eaters happy. My Taco Rice Bowl is like a burrito, without the tortilla. You are saving calories by swapping the tortilla shell for vegetables versus a burrito. Those Chipotle burritos, though! Those are bowl-worthy but are a caloric nightmare.
I like to substitute the meat with a sautéed blend of chopped mushrooms, onions and Boca brand crumbles. I also add split peas and radish seeds to my rice, the color and texture makes it a bit more interesting.
The Corn Salsa is what we prefer instead of dressing. Skip a calorie dense dressing and use extra salsa instead. Or you can give this Avocado Dressing a try!
The list of ingredients may look long but once you have them all out, on the counter you’ll have it together rather quickly.
- Rice Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups rice
- 2½ cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons diced jalapeño pepper
- ½ pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa Chili Spice Blend or chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ - ½ cup beer
- 1 tablespoon chopped green olives
- 1 cup small red, black or white beans
- 1 lime, peel grated and sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley or cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 cups sliced lettuce
Corn Salsa Ingredients
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped tomato
- 2 teaspoons chopped, fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon grated lime peel
- ¼ teaspoon diced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon diced jalapeño pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Prepare the rice per package instructions. Add the butter and bay leaf during cooking.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a medium sauté pan, over medium-low heat cook the onions in the olive oil until they become tender. Add the garlic, jalapeño, and turkey. Crumble and cook the turkey until it is cooked through.
- Add the chili, oregano, tomato, and beer. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the olives, beans, 2 teaspoons of lime zest and juice from 1 wedge, parsley, and salt. Turn off the heat.
- Prepare the Corn Salsa:
- In a small bowl mix the corn, tomato, parsley, lime, garlic, jalapeño, and salt.
- In each bowl layer lettuce, rice, filling, salsa, avocado slices with a lime wedge.